Given in recognition of active and effective safety programs in municipal and industrial wastewater treatment facilities. Established in 1983.
Recognizes a wastewater treatment facility based on the documented and illustrated safety program and safety record of the facility for the preceding calendar year.
Nomination Policy and Procedures
1. The Burke Award is made annually by WEF to a municipal or industrial wastewater facility for promoting an active and effective safety program.
2. The State Section Safety Committees or General Awards Committee shall be responsible for soliciting and accepting nominations and selecting no more than one facility from each state as nominees for the George W. Burke Award.
3. To be eligible for this award, at least one employee of the facility must have Association member status, unless otherwise specifically approved by the Executive Committee.
4. Nomination documentation shall include a narrative of the facility safety program and a summary of safety data prepared in a format suggested by WEF. Submitted documentation shall be limited to six pages with two letters of recommendation for a total of no more than eight pages.
5. Nominations shall be submitted to the Chair of the State Section Safety Committee by November 15 of each year.
6. The State Section Safety Committees shall be responsible for accepting nominations and shall select no more than one facility from each State Section and submit these candidates to the General Awards Committee by December 1 of each year.
7. Following approval by the Association Executive Committee, the Executive Director shall forward the recommendation to WEF for approval by the WEF House of Delegates.
8. The award will be presented to the facility at the Association Annual Meeting following WEF House of Delegates approval.
Burke Sub-Committee Chair: Randy Wirtz
For Information, Contact:
|2019||City of St. Cloud, St. Cloud, MN|
|2018||City of Janesville, Janesville, WI|
|2017||New Water, Green Bay, WI|
|2016||Glenbard Wastewater Authority|
|2015||Western Lake Superior SD|
|2014||Veolia Water Milwaukee|
|2012||Metropolitan Council Environmental Services-East Business Unit|
|2010||Glenbard Wastewater Authority|
|2009||Western Lake Superior Sanitary District|
|2008||City of Crystal Lake, IL WWT Division|
|2007||North Shore Sanitary District|
|2005||City of Naperville, IL Springbrook WWT Facility Naperville, IL|
|2004||Glenbard Wastewater Agency, IL|
|2003||City of Elmhurst Elmhurst IL|
|2002||Heart of the Valley Sanitary District Kaukauna WI|
|2001||North Shore Sanitary District Gurnee IL|
|2000||Beloit Wastewater Treatment Plant Beloit, WI|
|1999||Gold’n Plump Poultry Cold Spring, MN|
|1997||Rochester Water Reclamation Plant Rochester, MN|
|1996||Fox River Water Pollution Control Center Brookfield, WI|
|1995||Sheboygan Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant Sheboygan, WI|
|1994||Janesville Water and Wastewater Utili Janesville, WI|
|1993||Glenbard Wastewater Utility Glenbard, IL|
|1992||Metropolitan Waste Central Commission, East Area Plants St. Paul, MN|
|1991||Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District Madison, WI|
|1990||Kankakee Metropolitan Wastewater Utility Kankakee, IL|
|1989||Village of Addison Addison, IL|
|1988||Urbana and Champaign Sanitary District Urbana, IL|
|1987||North Shore Sanitary District Gurnee, IL|
|1986||Green Bay Metropolitan Sewage District Green Bay, WI|
|1985||Metropolitan Waste Control Commission St. Paul, MN|
|1983||Jones Island Wastewater Treatment Plant, WI|
Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, WI